Before a student can graduate from the Cosmetology to Class “A” Barber program here at the Buckner Barber School, the student must:
- The student must have accumulated hours needed to complete the course of choice (300 hours Class A Barber)
- The student must have a cumulative GPA of 70% or greater.
- The student must have completed all theory and practical requirements.
- The student must have completed Graduate Counseling with their instructor and the Graduate Exit Package/Loan Exit Counseling with Administration.
- All monies owed to BBS must be paid prior to receiving a certificate of Completion
- * * Please note that all monies owed to the school including but not limited to charges for outstanding miscellaneous fees, services, and time beyond contract must be paid in full. The student is also responsible for gathering all documents including fees for the examination and the postage if the application is mailed.
State Licensing Requirements (Crossover 300-Hour):
The Texas Department of Licensing & Regulations sets the following requirements for graduation:
- Complete the required hours for course training for which the student is enrolled in a licensed barber school.
- Provide a valid Texas identification (driver’s license, state identification card; or a govt. issued passport)
- Pass both the written and practical examinations with a 70% or higher. (Must pass the written part with the department before you can schedule to take the practical portion with the department.)
- Pay the applicable fee for the PSI written part of the test and the applicable fee for the PSI practical portion of the test. (All fees are payable to PSI who administers the test)
- Additionally, pay a licensing application fee to the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulations after you pass both tests for your license to be issued.
(a) To be eligible for a department examination, an applicant must:
(1) submit a completed license application on a department-approved form.
(2) pay the applicable license application fee under §82.80; and
(3) have completed the number of hours required by this chapter and the Act.
(b) A student enrolled in a 1,000-hour program is eligible to take the written examination when the department receives proof of completion of 900 hours.
(c) All department examinations consist of a written and practical part. A passing grade of 70 on each part is needed to satisfy the examination requirement.
(d) Examinees must pass the written examination before being eligible to take the practical examination.
(e) When appearing for an examination the examinee shall bring the instruments necessary to give a practical demonstration of the barbering services applicable to the license for which the examinee is applying.
(f) The examinee may provide a model, of 16 years of age or older, on whom to demonstrate the practical work. The department may require parental approval for models under 18 years of age.
(g) To be admitted to an examination, the examinee must present a current, valid government-issued photo identification, which includes the applicant’s full name and date of birth.
(h) Examinees are required to wear a smock or professional attire for the practical examination.
(i) The department will notify an examinee if the examinee fails either the written or practical examination.
(j) Any student or applicant who has had a name change during his or her enrollment at a department-licensed barber school must notify the department in writing prior to the date on which the student or applicant is scheduled to take any examination, written or practical.